Field Artillery Regiment
133rd Field Artillery was organized in June, 1917, as the First Texas
Field Artillery. It was drafted into Federal service August 5, 1917;
mustered into Federal service during August and September, 1917, and
redesignated 133rd Field Artillery October 15, 1917. It served overseas
during the World War but did not see combat service. It was demobilized at
Camp Bowie April 2, 1919.
history of Battery A is the history of the regiment prior to 1917. The
battery was organized in 1880 as the Queen City Guards and later as
Battery A, Field Artillery, Texas National Guard-better known as. the
Dallas Battery or Dallas Artillery Company, and sometimes spoken of as
"Logan's Battery" after Captain F. A. Logan, who was its
commanding officer from 1890 until 1917, when he was placed in command of
the regiment. The untiring efforts of this officer in attempting to
increase the Field Artillery in Texas before the World War is a matter of
regiment was reorganized in 1936, reconstituted and consolidated with the
post-war 133rd Field Artillery, with the exception of the Service Battery
and the Third Battalion. Battery A was immediately located in Dallas, and
again this city had its field artillery unit back at home. Other units
were located at San Antonio, Houston, Fort Worth and Beeville, Texas.
the Organized Reserve and other National Guard units were drafted a few
officers and many men, among whom was Lieutenant Colonel Raymond Phelps of
the 132nd Field Artillery. Colonel Phelps had entered the Guard in 1916 as
a Lieutenant under the command of Captain Claude V. Birkhead, commanding
officer of Battery B, Texas Artillery, now the division commander. He was
promoted to Captain in 1917, and served as such during the World War, and
in 1923 when the 61st Field Artillery was reorganized, became the brigade
executive with the rank of Major, which assignment he held until 1933.
Other officers selected for the regiment were Captain William H. Hargis,
M.C.; Captain John L. Lattimore, 72nd Brigade; First Lieutenant John H.
Crump, 143rd Infantry, and Roy S. McMurtray, 61st Field Artillery Brigade.
Later, Major James M. Caviness, 132nd Field Artillery, was transferred to
the regiment. Recently, Lieutenant Colonel Caviness was transferred back
to the 132nd Field Atillery and Lieutenant Colonel Chas. W. Scruggs, with
long years of active National Guard service, came to the regiment.
reorganization of the remainder of the regiment, namely the Service
Battery at New Braunfels and the Third Battalion with units at Kerrville,
San Antonio, Beeville and Kingsville, was ordered on March 10, 1937, with
Major A. B. Crowther, 61st Field Artillery Brigade, in command. The unit
at Beeville, organized in 1936, was redesignated Battery E, and the new
Battery B was formed at Fort Worth as part of the First Battalion. Since
then, Lieutenants George A. Uhl and Lloyd L. Awbrey, officers with long
services in the Guard, have entered the regiment. The authorized strength
of the regiment, in 1937, was 62 officers, one warrant officer and 622
enlisted men. The enlisted strength has been increased to 768 men.
first camp in 1936 was held under difficulties, federal recognition of
most of the units being withheld pending approval of their armories, and
clothing and equipment being slow to arrive. But the fine spirit of the
regiment, through the able guidance of the fine officer personnel, carried
the regiment through a very successful and instructive camp.
The 1937 encampment found the entire regiment together, with sufficient equipment to properly train in all phases of the work. The highlight of this camp was the firing of the new 155 mm. Howitzers for the first time at Camp Hulen.
all National Guardsmen of the post-war 36th Division, the camp of 1938 was
most outstanding as it was the Third Army maneuvers. During this camp, the
133rd Field Artillery, dubbed the “Baby Regiment,” arose to take its
place with the old regiments of the division and when the maneuvers were
completed, it had received its share of the commendations.
regiment was fortunate in having assigned to it as unit instructor Captain
Milo B. Barragan, of the 10th Field Artillery, Regular Army, at Fort
Lewis, Washington. A graduate of the Military Academy, Captain Barragan
has been of great assistance to the regiment, and it looks forward
reluctantly to the day when his tour of duty will end.
regimental motto, “Dum Spiramus Tuebimur” (while we breathe we shall
defend) is symbolic of the spirit of the regiment to defend to the last