Division Special Troops
Officers and Headquarters Detachment
and Headquarters Detachment, Special Troops, 36th Division, were organized
in San Antonio April 1, 1937. Prior to this time the 36th Division was not
authorized these units.
first Commander was Major Henry Lee Taylor, who has remained in command
during the entire history of the units. Captain Clay McFarland has served
as Adjutant of Special Troops and as Commander, Headquarters Detachment,
for the entire time except six months during 1938, when he served as
Commander, Headquarters Detachment, 36th Division, in addition to his
duties as Adjutant. Lieutenant George Uhl was the first Supply Officer,
but after a few weeks, he returned to the Field Artillery.
Lieutenant Jack L. Rhodes served as Supply Officer for two years and
Lieutenant Sidney F. Lahourcade has served as such one year.
Special Troops Headquarters performs the administrative functions of a regimental headquarters. The Detachment is divided into a Supply Section and an Administrative Section. Its personnel receives all of the basic training of infantrymen and, in addition, specialist training as clerks.