132nd U.S. Field Artillery Regiment, 1917
MOTTO: "Fiant Rotae Rotare" "Let the Wheels Keep Rolling".
FORMATION: The 132d FA Regiment traces its lineage to the First Regiment Cavalry, Texas Volunteer Guard, organized with nine companies in 1880. The First Texas Cavalry was reduced to a battalion in 1888 and again expanded to regimental size in 1892. The unit was mustered into federal service in 1898 for Spanish American War service as the First Regiment, Texas Cavalry, U. S. Volunteers. The unit did not serve outside the United States. The regiment was authorized a Spanish American War campaign streamer. Reorganized after the Spanish American War, it did federal service along the Mexican border from July 1, 1916 to March, 1917. Soon afterward the regiment was called again into federal service and was redesignated the 132d Field Artillery Regiment, equipped with 75 mm guns. Although it was a challenge to the former horse soldiers, duty was duty and they soldiered on as artillerymen as they trained at Camp Bowie near Fort Worth.
WORLD WAR I SERVICE: After training, the unit sailed for France, landing at Brest in August, 1918, and moving into a training area near Redon. French training officers at the famous French artillery training area, Coetquidan, reported the regiment ready for service in only six weeks of the eight week training course. The Armistice was signed before the regiment entered combat. After returning to the United States in the spring of 1919, it was mustered out at Camp Bowie, Fort Worth, Texas. Steamers and Decorations: "France, 1918"
BETWEEN THE WARS: Reorganized, 1922. Motorized, 1933. Summer Camps at Camp Hulen, Palacios, 1926-1937. 3d Army manuevers, Camp Bullis, 1938. Called to federal service, 1940.
WORLD WAR II: The Regiment was called to federal service as part of the 36th Infantry Division on 25 November, 1940 and arrived at Camp Bowie, Brownwood, on 11 Jan 1941. Reorganized 31 January, 1942, with 1st Bn becoming the 132d FA Battalion (105 mm Truck) and the 2d Bn becoming the 155 FA Battalion (105 mm Truck), trained with the 36th Division, moved to Camp Blanding, Florida and Camp Edwards, Massachusetts. At Camp Edwards, the 155th was redesignated as a 155 Howitzer Battalion, transferring its weapons to the 133d Field. The regiment departed from New York for North Africa on 2 Apr 1943.
North Africa/Salerno/Anzio/Southern France/Vosges: After staging in North Africa, the unit — assigned as direct support for the 142d Infantry, landed in the assault at Salerno 9 September, 1943 and fought the bloody battles up the boot of Italy until relieved, retrained and committed to reinforce the Anzio assault on 22 May, 1944. Later the unit made a third amphibious landing in Southern France, 15 August, 1944, and fought with the 36th during the later months of the war, ending the war on the German-Austrian border area. The unit was returned to the United States and demobilized in December, 1945 at Camp Patrick Henry, Virginia.
WAR II CAMPAIGN STREAMERS: Naples-Foggia, Anzio, Rome-Arno, Southern France, Ardennes, Alsace, Central Europe. Croix de Guerre with Palm, World War II, "VOSGES".
1st Howitzer Battalion, 132d Artillery (105mm SP) was organized on 11 January 1947 as the 646th Armored Field Artillery Battalion with batteries in Paris and Mount Pleasant, Texas, assigned to the 49th Armored Division. The battalion perpetuates the history of the 132d Field Artillery Regiment (less 2d Battalion). On 2 July 1946, elements of the World War II 557th Field Artillery battalion were reconstituted as elements of and consolidated with the 646th. The 557th was recognized with campaign participation in Northern France, Ardennes-Alsace, Rhineland, and Central Europe in World War II as well. The 646th was redesignated as the 1st Howitzer Battalion 132d Artillery on 16 March 1959. After the restructuring of the 49th Armored Division in 1963, the 1st Howitzer Battalion (105 SP) remained in assignment to the Division.
2d Howitzer Battalion, 132d Artillery (105mm SP) was reactivated 2 July 1946 as the 647th Armored Field Artillery Battalion and assigned to the 49th Armored Division, with units at Marshall, Carthage and Texarkana. In that reorganization, elements of the 558th Armored Field Artillery Battalion (World War 11) were reconstituted as battery elements of the 647th, with campaign participation credit for Northern France, Ardennes-Alsace, Rhineland and Central Europe. Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, as organized on 2 July, 1947, perpetuates the history and lineage of Headquarters, 133 FA Regiment, disbanded 1 February 1942. The 657 was redesignated as the 2d Howitzer Battalion, 132d Artillery on 16 March 1959. The 21/32 (105 SP) remained in assignment to the Division in a restructuring in 1963.
3d Rocket Howitzer Battalion, 132d Artillery (155mm/8-inch/Honest John) (SP) was organized 17 Jun 1948 as 961st Field Artillery Battalion, assigned to the 49th Armored Division. Redesignated and reorganized as the 648th Armored Field Artillery Battalion on 1 March, 1949, the unit perpetuated the history of the 961st Field Artillery Battalion with campaign credit for Normandy, Northern France, Ardennes-Alsace, Rhineland and Central Europe. With other battery units at San Angelo, Big Spring, Colorado City, Breckenridge, Cisco and Ranger — the 648th also perpetuated the history of the 132d Field Artillery Battalion as noted previously. The unit was redesignated as the 3rd Bn (155mm/8inch/HonestJohn) 132d Artillery, on 16 March 1959. The 3/132 (155mm/8inch) was reorganized in 1963, remaining in assignment to the 49th Armored Division.
4th Missile Battalion (Nike-Hercules), 132d Artillery was organized on 10 August 1962 with Headquarters in Denton. During its years of service, it was the only National Guard Missile Battalion. The battalion was retired in 1976.
Berlin Crisis: On September 19, 1961, the three battalions of the 132d were mobilized with the rest of the 49th Armored Division as part of national defense activities relating to the "Berlin Crisis". The unit was deployed to Fort Polk, Louisiana, on 24 October, 1961, after training at home stations. After completing extensive maneuvers entitled "Iron Dragoon" in May, 1962, the unit was demobilized in June, 1962, and returned to state service.
Retiring the colors of the 132d Artillery: When the Texas National Guard was restructured into 3 Brigades in 1968, the units of the 132d were retired and were not reactivated in 1973 when the 49th Armored Division was reconstituted:
CURRENT ASSIGNMENT: The unit is not in active National Guard service.
Current as of 20 Nov 99