U.S. Field Artillery Regiment
MOTTO: "Dum Spiramus Tuebimur" "While we breathe, we will defend".
FORMATION: Arguably the 133d has the earliest origins as a field artillery unit in the entire Texas National Guard. Antecedents of the unit were formed in Dallas in 1880 as the Queen City Guards and later as Battery A, Field Artillery, Texas National Guard, also called "Logan's Battery" or the "Dallas Artillery". Units of the Regiment saw service in the Spanish American war and on the Mexican border in 1916. Battery A became part of the First Texas Artillery by 1900 equipped with 3 inch guns, and as the First Texas it was called to active duty in 1917 with the rest. of the Texas National Guard. It was designated as a 6 inch howitzer unit and later in April, 1918, as a 155 mm. regiment. It served in France during World War I, separated from the 36th Division for training at the famous French artillery center at Coetquidan. Completing the standard eight week course of instruction in six weeks, the 133d moved into support positions behind the fighting lines, but did not see combat during the war. It was demobilized at Camp Bowie, April 2, 1919.
BETWEEN THE WARS: Reorganized, 1936 and 1937, with three battalions and a total of six batteries, A-F. 155 mm. motorized.
WORLD WAR II: The Regiment was called to federal service as part of the 36th Infantry Division on 25 November, 1940 and arrived at Camp Bowie, Brownwood, on 11 Jan 1941. After training with the 155 mm Howitzer, the 1st Battalion was redesignated as the 155th Field Artillery Battalion (155 Howitzer - Truck) on 5 November 1942. . The 2d Battalion of the 132d was redesignated as the 133d Field Artillery Battalion (105mm Howitzer - Truck) The 133d departed from New York for North Africa on 2 Apr 1943. The 2d Bn 133 FA Regt was redesignated as the 2d Bn 202 Field Artillery Regiment on 1 February 1942, and is entitled to campaign credit for Normandy, Northern Frances, Ardennes-Alsace and Central Europe Campaigns of WW II.
North Africa/Salerno/Anzio/Southern France/Vosges: After staging in North Africa, the 133 Field Artillery Battalion unit was assigned as direct support for the 143d Infantry and landed in the assault at Salerno 9 September, 1943. The 133d fought the bloody battles up the boot of Italy until relieved, retrained and committed to reinforce the Anzio landing on 22 May, 1944, participating in the liberation of Rome on 5 July 1944. Later the unit made a third amphibious landing in Southern France, 15 August, 1944, and fought with the 36th during the later months of the war, ending the war on the German-Austrian border area. The unit was returned to the United States and demobilized in December, 1945 at Camp Patrick Henry, Virginia.
133D FA BATTALION WORLD WAR II CAMPAIGN STREAMERS: Naples-Foggia, Anzio, Rome-Arno, Southern France, Ardennes, Alsace, Central Europe
1947: The 133d Artillery was reorganized in 1947 as a component of the 36th Infantry Division with 1st and 2d Battalions, 105mm (towed) 133d Artillery. Reorganization of the 36th Division into a Pentomic Army Division in 1959 brought about the activation of the 3d, 4th and 5th Battalions of the 133d Artillery, . The five composite battalions were armed with 105mm and 155mm howitzers and served as units of the 49th Armored Division, 1959-1963 . The 4th and the 5th Battalions were self propelled units, 1959-1963.
1963: In the 1963 reorganization of the Texas National Guard Divisions, the 2d, 4th and 5th Battalions (105mm towed) were assigned to the 36th Infantry and the 3d/133 was converted to be an Honest John Missile towed unit, also assigned to the 36th Division. The 1/133 was not retained, 1963-1968.
1965: In 1965, the 4th Battalion (105mm towed) was assigned to the 36th Infantry Brigade, absorbing the 5th/133 between 1968 and 1973.
1968: The 1st Battalion (105 mm towed) 133d Artillery was assigned to the 71st Infantry Brigade (Airborne) in 1968, when the 36th Division was deactivated. The 3d/133 (HJ) remained a "non divisional unit" in 1968 at the retirement of the 36th infantry Division, assigned to the Arrowhead Emergency Operations Center. 4/133 remained in assignment to the 36th Infantry Brigade. The 2/133 not retained in the Texas National Guard Structure in 1968.
1973: When the 49th Armored Division was reactivated in 1973, the 1st, 3d and 4th Battalions were assigned to the Division as 105mm Howitzer SP units. The 3d/133 was relieved of assignment to Arrowhead Emergency Operations Center at that time and converted to a 105mm Self Propelled unit. In 1985, the following units remained as assigned to the 49th Armored Division: 1/133; 3/133; 4/133. All were 105mm SP units.
50th Armored Division, 1989-1992: In the period 1989-1992 1/133 was retained as a component of the 36th Brigade, assigned to the 50th Armored Division. When the 36th Brigade was returned to the 49th Armored Division in 1993, the 1/133 remained as the artillery unit for the 36th (3d) Brigade.
CURRENT ASSIGNMENT: 36th Brigade, 49th Armored Division